Archival and Deletion of old recordings
As a part of our annual Rollover process, on 30th October 2014 we will
- Permanently delete all lecture recordings (including External Media Ingest videos) made/recorded/uploaded between 1st August 2011 – 31st july 2012
- Archive all lecture recordings made between 1st August 2012 and 31st July 2013
- Recordings made after 1 August 2013 will remain Available on Q-Review
Some frequently asked questions about archiving and deletion
How/where can I see my recordings?
Go to https://ess.q-review.qmul.ac.uk and log in using your username and password to see all your recordings. Your username is your standard college username, if you have forgotten your password then raise a ticket on Helpdesk to get/reset your login credentials. It is easy to sort your recordings by date, after logging in -> Go to Echo -> Echoes -> Click on ‘Start Time’.
What does ‘archiving’ a lecture capture mean?
Your lecture capture will still be on the Q-Review system, but the content will not be viewable by anyone. If someone follows a link to an archived lecture capture they will get an error message saying ‘This echo is no longer available’.
How do I restore an ‘archived’ lecture capture?
Go to https://ess.q-review.qmul.ac.uk and log in using your Q-Review username and password.
- Navigate to Echoes > Echoes > the go to Archives Tab,
- Select the checkbox(es) next to the recording(s) you wish to Unarchive
- From the actions drop-down list at the bottom of the page > select ‘Unarchive Selected’.
- Users with links to the recordings will be able to view it once it has been unarchived.
Can I download my recordings?
Yes, you can, to do this –
- Go to https://ess.q-review.qmul.ac.uk and log in
- Navigate to Echoes > Echoes
- Hover your mouse over the recording you wish to download, you will see a series of options
- Click on the ‘Download’, this will download a folder on your computer
- Open the folder and sort the files by their size. The video file is the largest one.
Can I keep lectures that are due to be permanently deleted?
Yes, as long as you are the presenter or have been added as a presenter to a recording you can request to retain that lecture in the system. Please note that we cannot proceed with your request if the recording does not belong to you.
To do this raise a ticket on the IT Helpdesk before 15th August 2014 identifying the lecture captures that you wish to be preserved. You will have to provide us with the following information –
- Module code or Programme title
- Date and time of the capture
- Link to the capture (optional)
- Location of the capture (optional)
- If preservation is required for more than one year, a brief justification
Please note that you need to give us the exact details of every recording that needs to be preserved and please make sure that those recordings took place between 1st August 2011 – 31st july 2012.
How will I know that that my captures will be kept?
Once we have registered that you wish to keep a lecture capture made between 1st August 2011 – 31st july 2012, we will add the prefix (QM13) to your capture title and we will close the helpdesk ticket. The presence of this prefix will ensure that it is not deleted. You can check this by logging onto Q-Review between 20th – 25th September.