We often get requests to give people access to QMplus course areas, and there are several ways to do this, depending on what is required…some of these do not need to go through the Helpdesk.
- AUTOMATIC ENROLMENT – STANDARD: This is the default option for students to be enrolled onto QMplus course areas. Once students have completed their registration on the student records system (SITS), they will begin to get enrolled onto the respective QMplus course areas automatically. Normally there is nothing you need to do for this to happen, but if there are any problems, please email the ITS Helpdesk and include the title of the course area (firstname.lastname@example.org). More information: http://www.elearning.qmul.ac.uk/guide/how-do-students-get-access-to-my-course/
- AUTOMATIC ENROLMENT – CUSTOM: Occasionally, there is a need for students studying on different modules, or entire programmes, to be enrolled onto the same QMplus course area. This is not done by default but can be requested by raising a Helpdesk ticket specifying which students need to be mapped from the student records system to which QMplus course area. E.g. all first year undergraduate students on the ‘Business Management’ programme should be enrolled on the BIZ123 QMplus course. Once this has been set up, then the students will be automatically enrolled onto the desired course area. Email your request to email@example.com. More information: http://www.elearning.qmul.ac.uk/guide/qmplus-enrolment-mapper-admin/
- RESIT STUDENTS: Students who are resitting a course will have access to an archived version of their course area (http://archive.qmplus.qmul.ac.uk/), where they have a read-only role and can view content. If resit students are required to submit work to QMplus, then they will need to be manually enrolled onto an active course area (they cannot submit work on the archive). See number 4 below for details on manually adding users. More information on resit students: http://www.elearning.qmul.ac.uk/guide/how-do-resit-students-get-access-to-my-course-area/
- MANUAL ENROLMENT – INDIVIDUAL: Anyone who has teacher or administrator access to QMplus can manually enrol someone else onto their course area, there is normally no need to raise a Helpdesk ticket. More information: http://www.elearning.qmul.ac.uk/guide/how-can-i-give-people-access-to-my-course/
- MANUAL ENROLMENT – BULK: If you have a large number of users (and you are unable to use the Automatic enrolment options described above) then you can bulk enrol a list of users. Anyone with teacher or administrator access can do this, there is normally no need to raise a Helpdesk ticket. More information: http://www.elearning.qmul.ac.uk/guide/how-to-bulk-upload-users-into-courses-or-users-into-groups/
- EXTERNAL ACCESS – GUESTS: If you would like people outside of QMUL to access your course area, you can set up guest access. This can be done with or without a password. Anyone who has teacher or administrator access to QMplus can enable guest access on their course area, there is normally no need to raise a Helpdesk ticket. Please note that if you enable Guest Access on your course, its content can be viewable by users who are not enrolled on the course area in QMplus, as well as by the general public browsing the internet, including via Google searches or pasted links, however they cannot interact in any way (such as upload documents, submit assignments or participate in forums). Course leaders can set a password onto their course area (and this password can be shared), this is not controlled by the E-Learning Unit. More information: http://www.elearning.qmul.ac.uk/guide/how-can-i-enable-guest-access-on-my-course/. If you would like specific external users to access the course, you should apply for an affiliate account(s) – see below.
- EXTERNAL ACCESS – AFFILIATE ACCOUNTS: If you would like to give someone who does not have a QMUL username access to your QMplus course area, you can email the IT Helpdesk to request that an affiliate account be created for them (E.g. for an external examiner or teacher). A temporary username and password will be created so they can log into QMplus. The affiliate account can then be enrolled onto any course area by anyone who has teacher or administrator access. More information: http://www.elearning.qmul.ac.uk/guide/can-i-give-access-to-my-qmplus-course-to-someone-who-isnt-a-member-of-qm/
QMplus ROLES: There are different roles that you can give someone who has access to a QMplus course area, depending on what you would like them to do – student, viewer, teacher, non-editing teacher and administrator are the current roles available. More information: http://www.elearning.qmul.ac.uk/guide/what-are-the-roles-on-qmplus/
Who’s enrolled? To see a list of who is enrolled on your course, go to the ‘Enrolled Users‘ section.