Over the 2017/18 academic year the E-Learning Unit has been working with TurningPoint users to determine the best way to continue supporting the system. This work has been necessary due to changes in the way TurningPoint charge for their systems and issues that have occurred with the software over the last academic year.
These are the most important things to know about the changes that we have made:
- We only support the latest version of the TurningPoint software. This is currently TurningPoint 8. All computers in centrally bookable teaching spaces have the latest version of the software installed. If you have a computer managed by IT Services, you can raise a ticket and ask for the software to be installed on your machine. If you want to install the software yourself, please see our Resources for TurningPoint users area for more information, the link is at the bottom of this article.
- TurningPoint receivers have been permanently installed in some of the larger teaching spaces in the university. Having receivers permanently installed allows us to save money and we have managed to obtain central funding to cover the 13 largest teaching rooms across Mile End, Whitechapel, Charterhouse Square and West Smithfield. This means that anyone teaching in any of these rooms will be able to rely on having a receiver. Please note that you will still have to ensure that your audience have the TurningPoint handsets. The E-Learning Unit also have receiver for an audience of up to 250 which can be borrowed by staff on a per session basis. The receivers are currently installed in the following lecture theatres: The Great Hall, Arts Two, Mason, Skeel, Draper’s, Peston, G.O. Jones and Fogg at Mile End and the Perrin and Bearstead lecture theatres at Whitechapel. Installations at Charterhouse Square/West Smithfield have not yet been completed.
- If you have your own TurningPoint receiver you must ensure that it is compatible with the latest version of the TurningPoint software. The receiver is the small USB stick that plugs into your computer and collects the responses. Not all of the older TurningPoint receivers will work with the new software.
- TurningPoint handsets (clickers) are unaffected by the changes Any handsets that you have will work with the latest version of the TurningPoint software and the new receivers, there is no need to update them.
- You do not need a TurningPoint account or login to make use of the system. A previous version of the software required this but it is no longer necessary.
- There is no further central funding available for TurningPoint hardware. If you require further receivers or handsets, you will have to fund these purchases from your own budgets. If you wish to buy receivers in particular, it is important to note that we are using what TurningPoint refer to as offline receivers. Please contact the E-Learning Unit if you need more information.
We have created an area on QMplus, Resources for TurningPoint users, which contains all the latest information about TurningPoint including how to obtain receivers and handsets, what to do if you want to install the software yourself and also includes resources to help you get started with using the system. This will be kept up to date with all the latest information about TurningPoint at QMUL.