A QMplus glossary allows tutors (and potentially, students) to create and maintain a list of key words and definitions. This user guide also demonstrates how the ‘Random glossary entry Block’ can be used in partnership with the glossary to create greater awareness of the glossary’s content. An example is a ‘Word of the day’.
This document contains instructions on how to:
- Add a glossary to your course page.
- Add an entry to your glossary.
- Add a ‘Random glossary entry block’ to your course page.
It assumes you know:
Adding a Glossary to your course page
- TURN EDITING ON (via the slider in the top right of your screen).
- Select the topic where you would like to add your ‘glossary’.
- Click on Add an activity or resource.
- Select Glossary and click Add. This will open the ‘glossary’ option screen.
Glossary options page
- Give your ‘Glossary’ a name.
- Add a description of the ‘Glossary’s’ proposed contents. If you are creating a collaborative ‘Glossary’ that is to be edited by students, outline the instructions/guidelines here. For example, what it is for, who is expected to use it and how.
- There is an option to automatically link glossary terms to corresponding words appearing throughout your course.
Further options include:
- Restricting student access to viewing, not editing the glossary.
- The ability for users to rate definitions.
- Commenting on glossary entries to further improve and/or expand a definition.
- The need for the teacher’s approval before entries by students are made visible.
Adding a new entry to your glossary
The screen shot below illustrates the Simple, dictionary style glossary and the specialist term ‘Lightbox gallery’ together with its explanation.To add an entry:
- Click on your newly added Glossary.
- Click on ADD A NEW ENTRY.
- Add your term and corresponding definition.
- Click SAVE CHANGES.
The random glossary entry Block
Some web sites present users with a ‘word of the day’ which changes either daily or every time the user’s browser is refreshed. This can also be achieved by using the ‘random glossary entry block’ to pull information from your glossary and display it on your course page. To do this:
- Click on the TURN EDITING ON button (top right of your screen).
- Select Random glossary entry from the ADD A BLOCK drop down menu.
- Click on the actions icon (spanner) and select ‘configure random glossary entry block’ configure your block.
- Give your ‘Block’ a title. In this example I have called it Word of the day.
- If there is more than one glossary select your choice from the drop down menu. In this example I have selected ‘QMplus specialist words.’
- When you are happy with your options click SAVE CHANGES.
Your course page will now display an entry from your glossary in your ‘WORD OF THE DAY’ block.
Did this answer your query? If not, you can raise a ticket on the online Helpdesk or email: firstname.lastname@example.org . Alternatively you can also request a particular guide or highlight an error in this guide using our guides request tracker.