This guide is for Teachers and Administrators. It assumes that you have editing rights in QMplus.
The database activity module allows the teacher and/or students to build, display and search a bank of record entries about any topic. The content and structure of these entries can be in any format, including images, files, URLs, numbers and text amongst other things.
Add a database activity:
- With the editing turned on, in the section you wish to add your database, click the ‘Add an activity or resource’ and choose Database.
- Give your new database a name and a description. You can leave the other settings untouched. However, if you don’t want students to make entries to the database then you will have to change the permissions (see note at the bottom).
- Click the ‘Save and display’ button at the bottom of the page.
Add fields to the database
- A field is a named unit of information. Each entry in a database activity module can have multiple fields of multiple types e.g. a text field, Date, Number or a menu. Define the fields or use a preset from the drop-down (see below).
- Give your entry a name that is unique and short. The description is for your benefit to help identify that field.
- If you need to ensure one or several particular fields are always completed, then tick the box ‘Required field’ when setting up the fields for your database (see below).
- Press ‘Add’ button. Add more fields using the same process.
Adding an entry
- Go to the “Add entry” tab
- This will display your fields and depending on your fields it will allow you to enter text or choose data from the drop-down list.
- On this screen you can also
- View single: one item at a time
- View list : several items at a time
- Search : search the entries
Note: If you do not want your students to make entries to the database then you have to change the permission. Click on Permissions in the Settings block.
Scroll down to Write Entries section and click on ‘X’ next to Student. Then click on ‘Remove’ button (see below).
Did this answer your query? If not, you can raise a ticket on the online Helpdesk or email: firstname.lastname@example.org . Alternatively you can also request a particular guide or highlight an error in this guide using our guides request tracker.