QMplus provides numerous ways for you to send messages, including emails, to your students. This handout covers ‘Module Announcements’, using the ‘People Block’ and ‘Chat’.
This guide covers:
- Use the ‘Module Announcements’
- Send emails and notes using the ‘People Block’
- Using the quickmail block
It assumes you know:
Unlike a ‘forum’ which allows for a dialogue between staff and students and students and students, ‘Module anouncments’ allows staff to post information but does not allow students to respond. To post a message:
1. On your course page click on Module announcements.
2. Click on ‘ADD A NEW TOPIC’.
3. Give your post a ‘Subject’ and ‘Description’. The description can, as in this example, include a web link.
4. If required, you can attach a Word document, PowerPoint or other file. To do so click the ADD button.
5. To remove the 30 minute delay, so your message is sent immediately, tick the ‘Mail now’ box.
Contacting students via the PEOPLE block
Blocks offer additional features to your QMplus course page. If the PEOPLE block is missing from your page then click to Turn editing on, go to ‘Add a block’ and select ‘People’ from the drop down menu.
1. In the PEOPLE block, click on Participants.
2. A screen displaying your students is displayed. If your group has more than twenty students, it may be helpful to click on the Show all link. This will allow you to view your students on a single page.
3. You can either select individual students by clicking the tick boxes next to each name or if you want to contact all your students then, at the bottom of the page, click on SELECT ALL.
4. To email your students, select ‘Send a message’. Alternatively you can click on ‘Add a note’ that will appear on the students’ computer screen the next time they access QMplus
5. To view and respond to messages using a new messaging interface has been introduced, which brings greater control over who can message you along with the ability to star messages and engage in group messaging.
- Click the Message icon to toggle in or toggle out of the messaging window
- Click the Gear icon to personalise your messaging preferences (e.g mute or unmute)
- Group conversations
- Private conversations
- Search box can be used to search discussions
- Open a discussion for more settings e.g star a conversation, delete or user info etc.
Contacting students via the Quickmail block
If the Quickmail block hasn’t been added to the course area, one can turn editing on, go to ‘Add a block’ and select ‘People’ from the drop down menu.
One can then email individual students, or groups of students (and a history of all emails sent out is available too)
Full details on the Quickmail block can be found (here)
Did this answer your query? If not, you can raise a ticket on the online Helpdesk or email: email@example.com . Alternatively you can also request a particular guide or highlight an error in this guide using our guides request tracker.