QMplus offers three ways to organise students into ‘groups’. They can be manually added, they can be automatically assigned and they can self-assign. If you want your students to self-assign themselves into groups then use the ‘Group choice’ activity in QMplus.
This document contains instruction on:
- How to set up a ‘Group choice’ activity to enable students to self-enrol into a group.
- How students join a group.
- How to view the different groups and group members (not available to students).
It assumes you know:
Step 1: Set up the ‘Group Choice’ activity to enable students to self-enrol
Note that you must have already created the groups that you want students to enrol onto.
- Click on the Turn editing on button (top right of your screen).
- If not already open, click on the topic where you would like students to access the group choice.
- Click on Add an activity or resource.
- Select Group choice. This will open the ‘Group choice’ option screen.
Step 2: Settings
In the example below a ‘Group choice’ is created that enables students to self-enrol onto one of the three groups.
- Give the ‘Group choice’ a name. This will become a link that students will click on.
- The description is optional but can help give additional information to the student. If you want to include this on your course page then click the Display description tick box.
- From the Miscellaneous settings, enable ‘Limit the number of responses allowed‘ and then enter a number within the ‘General limitation‘ field. If you would like the same limitation to apply to all groups then click on the option ‘Apply to all groups‘ which will automatically make it applicable for all groups within the course.
- Under the Groups settings, you will see a list of available groups within your course, select on the ones you would like to use and then click on ‘Add Groups‘.
- Once the groups have been added you will see the limit for the group has already been applied, however this can be changed for each group by entering a new number within the ‘Limit for group 1‘ field. Remember to scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on save and return to course.
Step 3: How students join a group
In this example, having clicked on ‘Seminar Sign-up’ the student is able to select their preferred group (providing this group is not yet full).
- The student would select a group.
- Click on the button SAVE MY CHOICE.
Step 4: View the different groups and group members
Academics and administrative staff can click on the View Responses link within Settings and can see the responses under each group. Click on this to review the group participants.
Alternatively you can view groups through the group administration area under the Settings menu. Choose: Settings > Users > Groups
Did this answer your query? If not, you can raise a ticket on the online Helpdesk or email: firstname.lastname@example.org . Alternatively you can also request a particular guide or highlight an error in this guide using our guides request tracker.