Course categories organise courses into sections for all users. Teachers and students will find it easier to find their course areas if they are organised in descriptive categories. In QMplus, courses are placed into a Faculty level category, and then within further sub-categories for their schools/departments or programme.
This guide covers how to:
- Add a category
- Edit/move a category
- Hide a category
- Add a sub-category
- Add your course to a category
It assumes that:
- You have Administrator access to QMplus
To add a category, on the homepage on QMplus, raise a ticket with the Helpdesk.
You will need to give the following details:
- Name of the parent category it should be under (and subcategory, should it apply) e.g. Humanities and Social Sciences.
- New name you would like to give the category
- If you would like the category to be visible or hidden.
2. Editing/moving a category
1. Log into QMplus, click on Flydown dashboard icon found on the top right of the page then click on ‘All modules’.
2. Click on the category which your department belongs to. E.g. Humanities and Social Sciences has been selected.
3. Click on the School which you have administrator access to. E.g. School of Law has been selected.
4. From the right hand side, navigate to the ‘Settings’ block and then click on ‘Manage this category’.
5a. To move a particular category check the box to the left of the name.
5b. Select the category you would like to move it to from the drop down ‘Move selected categories to’. Then click on ‘Move’.
To delete a category select ‘Edit’ and ‘Delete’ to remove the category.
3. Hiding a category
Categories may be easily hidden or shown by following the steps 1-4 above. Under category management click the ‘eye’ icon of the category you wish to hide. Hidden categories are only visible to site administrators or those with the capability to “view hidden courses”.
4. Adding a sub-category
You might want to add a subcategory to organise your page for e.g. Science might have sub categories of Biology, Physics and Chemistry. You can make one category a subcategory of another by checking the box to the left of its name and then by selecting from the drop down menu ‘Move selected categories to’. You can create a new, empty sub-category by following steps 1-3 above. On the right hand ‘Settings’ block click ‘Add a subcategory‘.
5. Adding your course to a category
To add your course to a category ‘turn editing on’ and select ‘edit settings’ from the Settings block on the right hand side.
Under the ‘General’ settings select your relevant ‘course category’ from the drop down menu and select ‘Save changes’.
Did this answer your query? If not, you can raise a ticket on the online Helpdesk or email: firstname.lastname@example.org . Alternatively you can also request a particular guide or highlight an error in this guide using our guides request tracker.