There may be times when you want to make a really quick recording of yourself…you might want to sum up what has happened this week, provide a quick bit of feedback on an activity that students have been working on or quickly introduce what’s coming up in the module next week.
There is a tool available on QMplus Media, called Express Capture. It works in your browser, there is no software download required and it allows you to create a recording using a web cam and audio. It’s perfect for a really quick video. You can embed the recording into a QMplus area, on a website or send it to someone as a link.
This guide covers:
- Making a recording from your My Media area – use this method if you want to make the recording first and think about where to embed it later…or if you want to use the recording outside of QMplus
- Making a recording through the visual editor on QMplus – use this method if you want to record and embed into QMplus at the same time
- Show me – watch a video on how to use Express Capture
Make a recording via My Media
Select Express Capture from the Add Media menu.
Click on the cog icon in the top right corner and select the camera and microphone you want to use. Make sure you choose the right ones if you have multiple devices attached to your computer.
When you are ready, press the big red record button.
Make your recording.
You can review your recording to see if you are happy with it. Then you can:
- Select Record again if you’re not happy with this version
- Download a copy of the recording, in webm format
- Select Use this to keep this recording
When you select Use this your recording will be uploaded from your computer to QMplus Media. The bar at the top of the page will show when the upload is complete.
- Tags – e.g. you might tag videos with a module code to make them easier to find
- Select Save to save the details you have just entered
- Select Go to Media to go to the Media page, this is where you can do things like edit the recording or add captions, or My Media to return to your My Media area
You can now embed this recording into QMplus in the same way as any other QMplus Media video.
Make a recording via the text editor in QMplus
Instead of making your recording in your My Media area and then embedding it into QMplus. It is possible to make your recording and embed it into QMplus all at the same time. You do this by going through the visual editor which appears in many places in QMplus.
In this example I am using a label, but the process is the same for putting your recording into a page, a book, a quiz question, the feedback comments on an assignment and any other place you have access to the visual editor.
Ensure editing is turned on, select Add an activity or resource and then select a label resource.
Select the Embed Kaltura Media icon in the editor. It looks like a multi-coloured flower, or a firework.
Select the Add New item and then select Express Capture.
Select the cog icon in the top right corner and set your camera and microphone.
Once you are ready, press the big red record button.
Make your recording.
You can watch your recording and then:
- Select Record again if you’re not happy and want to try again
- Download a copy of the recording in webm format
- Select Use this if you’re happy with the recording
If you select Use this your recording will upload to QMplus Media.
Fill in the information for your recording:
- Tags – e.g. module code, to make your recordings easier to find
- Select Save to save the details
- Select Save and Embed at the top right of the page
Once you have selected Save and Embed, you will see a preview window.
Select the Embed button. You will be returned to the visual editor.
You won’t see your embedded video, but a piece of cryptic looking text. Don’t panic. This is correct. Scroll down and select Save and display.
You will be returned to your main QMplus page where you will see your new recording embedded in your label.
If you want to edit your video, or add captions to it, or use any of the other features of QMplus Media. You will find the video in your My Media area by using the link on your QMplus dashboard.
Did this answer your query? If not, you can raise a ticket on the online Helpdesk or email: email@example.com . Alternatively you can also request a particular guide or highlight an error in this guide using our guides request tracker.