The sharing cart feature in QMplus provides an easy way to copy content from one QMplus area to another. You can copy resources, such as files, web links or books and you can also copy activities such as forums, glossaries, quizzes and databases. You can also copy whole topic sections at once.
For some activities, you will be given the option to copy user data associated with the activity. e.g. if you have a glossary or a forum which students have contributed items to, you will be able to copy the user content. You are not able to copy data such as assignment submissions or quiz attempts.
N.B. You should not use the sharing cart to copy assignments which use Turnitin as this is likely to cause issues with the Turnitin integration. You should also not use the sharing cart to copy H5P/Interactive Content activities
This guide covers:
Enabling the sharing cart
The sharing cart is a QMplus block. To use it, you must put the sharing cart block into the QMplus areas you wish to move content between. e.g. if you want to move content between module ESH101 and ESH102, you will have to add the block in both areas. To add the block, click Turn editing on in your course area and then find the Add a block menu, this will be on the right at the bottom of the page.
Scroll down and select the Sharing cart from the list of blocks. You will now find the sharing cart block on the right of your screen at the bottom of the page.
- If you can’t find the block in the list, someone else may have already added it…check whether you can see it
- Only teachers and administrators can see this block, students can’t
Putting items into your cart
Once you have enabled the sharing cart block, you will find that indivdual items and whole sections in your QMplus area have a Copy to sharing cart item. To copy the item into your cart, click this item.
You will see the item appear in your sharing cart block.
If you have copied a whole topic, that will appear as a folder in your sharing cart. You can click on the folder to see the contents. You can also copy a whole topic by selecting it in the drop down menu in the sharing cart block and clicking on the Copy section button.
Depending on the type of item you are copying you may be asked whether you wish to copy user data. For example, if you have used a glossary activity to allow students to build a shared resource, you can choose to copy that activity, along with all the entries, into another QMplus area where it can continue to be built on.
Copying items out of your cart
To copy items from your cart into another QMplus area, navigate to the appropriate area, turn editing on and enable the sharing cart block. You will see the sharing cart block with all of your content in it. Click on the copy icon next to the item in your cart which you wish to copy.
You will see some rectangles with dotted lines appearing in various places in your QMplus area. These indicate where you can put your copied item.
Click on the place you wish to copy the item to. It is only possible to place the item at the end of a topic, if you don’t want it there, you will have to move it again after copying it.
If you have chosen to copy a whole topic, you will be asked what name you want to use for the topic.
If you want to copy individual items from a topic instead of the whole topic, click the folder to open it and then select the copy icon next to the item you want to copy.
Cancelling a copy
If you’ve clicked the copy icon but then decide you don’t want to complete the copy process, you can cancel it by using the icon that you will find above the module content tab.
Deleting items from your cart
When you have finished copying your content from one place to another, we recommend that you delete the items from your cart completely. Your sharing cart takes up storage space and we may run into difficulty if people keep storing large amounts of data in their cart.
You can delete individual items by clicking the trash can icon next to them.
Clicking the trash can icon next to a folder will delete all the items in that folder. You can open the folder and delete individual items from it.
You can also bulk delete items from your sharing cart by clicking on the cog icon and selecting the Bulk delete option.
You can then select the items you want to delete…or choose to delete everything.
Organising your cart
There are a couple of features which allow you to organise your sharing cart:
- You can re-order items in the list
- You can put items into folders
Clicking the Move icon allows you to move an item to a different position in the list of items.
You can then click where you wish to move the item to.
If you want to cancel the move, you can click on the cancel icon to the right of the item you are moving.
You can also create a simple folder structure and place items into the folders. Click on the arrow icon next to the item you wish to put into a folder.
Click on the drop-down list to move the item to an existing folder.
Or click on the pencil icon to create a new folder.
Things to keep in mind
Some things that are worth bearing in mind when using the sharing cart:
- You can’t share your sharing cart – The sharing cart is a personal area. Users cannot see the contents of each other’s sharing carts. This may be slightly inconvenient if you have a large course team.
- You can’t stop other teachers from copying content – If someone has teacher or course administrator access to your QMplus area, they can copy any items from that area into their own sharing cart
- It creates copies of items – When you put something into your cart, you create a copy of it. There is no link between the original and the copy. If you update the original, the changes are not reflected in the copy. Similarly, when you transfer something out of your cart, you create a copy. This does also mean that deleting copies has no effect on the originals, i.e. deleting something from your cart will not delete the item anywhere else. So don’t be afraid of emptying your cart!
- The cart is meant as a temporary storage area – The sharing cart is meant to be used as temporary storage while you move things from place to place. It is not intended to be used for long term storage or backup purposes. We recommend that you empty your cart when you are finished. If we find that the sharing cart feature is being used to store large amounts of data across long time periods we may have to review its use.
- Copying large numbers of items can take time – If you choose to copy whole topics with lots and lots of content in them, the process of copying things into, and out of, your sharing cart may take some time. Be patient until the process completes.
An important note about H5P/Interactive Content
The sharing cart does not work with the H5P/Interactive Content activity. If you try to use it to copy this content, you will find that the copy process never completes. If you want to copy a whole topic which has H5P content in it, we recommend you move it out of the topic before copying the topic into your sharing cart and then move it back in to the topic afterwards.
If you need to copy an H5P/Interactive Content activity from one QMplus area to another, we recommend that you use the import/export function within the activity itself.
See our guide on Creating interactive activities with H5P for more information.
You might also find the following guides helpful:
Did this answer your query? If not, you can raise a ticket on the online Helpdesk or email: firstname.lastname@example.org . Alternatively you can also request a particular guide or highlight an error in this guide using our guides request tracker.