The Scheduler activity will allow you to schedule appointments with your students. As a teacher you can specify time slots for meetings, which students can choose on QMplus and also schedule specific appointments for students. In turn you can also record the outcome of the meeting – and optionally grade the meeting – within scheduler.
Group scheduling is also supported in scheduler; that is, each time slot can accommodate several students, and optionally it is possible to schedule appointments for entire groups at the same time.
This guide covers:
Creating a Scheduler activity
- Click on the TURN EDITING ON slider (top right of your screen).
- Select the topic where you would like to add your ‘Scheduler’ activity.
- Click on ‘Add an activity or resource’.
- Select Scheduler. This will open the ‘Scheduler’ option screen, click ‘Add’.
Step 2: Add a ‘Name’ and ‘Introduction’ for your activity, select the ‘Mode’ you would like students to register, whether booking in groups is enabled, the buffer time between appointments – called ‘Guard time’, the ‘Slot duration’ and the ‘Grade’ type, should the appointment be assessed.
One can then choose whether to grade this appointment, via the options which appear beneath this.
Step 3: If you are looking to book appointments for groups and have selected so in the above options, you will need to enable group settings in the ‘Common module settings’, shown below:
Step 4: You can choose to restrict access to the page by checking Enable and entering certain dates. Once you have entered the details click ‘Save and return to course’ or ‘Save and display’.
Adding/Deleting slots in a Scheduler activity
Step 1: Your activity should now appear under the selected topic as shown below. Select the activity to add slots.
Step 2: You will now have the option to ‘Add single slot’ or ‘Add repeated slots’ by clicking on the cog shown below:
Step 3: One can then set the following for the appointments:
- Date(s): (One day can be selected, or should a date range be needed then the ‘Repeat slots until’ date can be enabled.
- Add appointments on: (Days of the week can be checked/unchecked as required)
- Time range (from/to times as displayed in 24 hour clock)
- Divide into slots? (Dividing into slots allows creating as many slots that fit within the range. If not dividing, a single slot with the given duration will be created at start of the hour range)
- Duration (length of each appointment, listed in minutes)
- Break between slots (by how many minutes)
- Force when overlap (if enabled, this will overwrite any old appointments with the new ones)
- Maximum number of students per slot (enabled via the checkbox, then number of students can be entered to the left)
- Person who is to be holding the appointments (Course Admins/Teachers can be chosen from the drop-down list)
- Display slot to student from (the appointment can be chosen to appear for the student from 1 day, to up to 6 weeks beforehand)
- Email a reminder (a reminder of the appointment can be chosen to notify the student from 1 day, to up to 6 weeks beforehand)
Step 4: Once you have saved your slots, they will appear as shown below. To delete particular slots, select them and click ‘Delete selected slots’. You can also add more slots or ‘Delete unused slots’ once all your students have booked an appointment. You also have the option to ‘Delete all slots’.
Step 5: To schedule a students appointments for them, click the cog to the right of their details and select ‘schedule in slot’, or should they have been seen, select ‘mark as seen now’.
Step 6: Once you have selected ‘schedule in slot, you can then schedule students’ appointments for them at one of the available slots by selecting ‘Choose existing’ in the top left corner and then select the desired time. Alternatively you can also schedule a slot for them at a particular date and time as shown below. Once you have chosen a date and time, click ‘Save changes’.
Step 7: The appointment should now appear in the slots. You can also send students a ‘Reminder’ if they have not booked a slot.
Step 8: To add a single slot for a student, select the cog next to ‘add slots’ and click ‘Add single slot’ and fill out the details. You can also select the particular student for this slot by choosing a student from ‘Appointment’ and selecting the ‘Student’ from the drop down menu.
You can then fill out the appointment details, selecting the date and time, tutor who saw them and then select which student from the drop-down list:
Step 9: The slot will now appear in the list of ‘Slots’. Once you have met with the student tick the check box next to the student’s name to show that you have seen them:
Step 10: Under ‘Action’ you will also have the option to delete, change, add attendance and revoke the appointment.
How to grade and add comments to students Scheduler appointment
Step 1: If you have set up the option to grade the scheduler activity, once you have seen the students select the activity and click on the individual students. Under ‘Appointments’ you will be able to mark the student as ‘Seen’. Should you wish to grade them, you can do so by clicking the pen icon under ‘Action’ to set their grade: Then select the grade and ‘save changes’ at the bottom of the page.
Step 1: Once logged into QMplus select your course and the scheduler activity. As a student you will be able to see the list of available slots. Select which slot you would like via ‘Book slot’ and you will then be allocated that date/time with the member of staff.
Should email notifications be enabled, you would then receive an email with the details of the booking you have chosen.
Did this answer your query? If not, you can raise a ticket on the online Helpdesk or email: firstname.lastname@example.org . Alternatively you can also request a particular guide or highlight an error in this guide using our guides request tracker.