Teachers and course convenors may find that with large cohorts of students that they wish to structure their grading workload, controlling when students receive the grading notifications. The grading workflow feature on the assignment activity allows markers to assign a status to a student’s submission and to then track the progress of submissions. The grading statuses are: Not marked, In marking, Marking completed, In review, Ready for release and Released. At the point that a submission is set to being “Released”, the grades and feedback are made visible to the student. The teaching assistant role does not have the ability to set a grade as “Released” thereby allowing a lecturer managing a team of markers to ensure that grades are not released to students until they have approved them.
This guide covers:
It assumes that:
- You have either a teacher or course administrator role in QMplus
Selecting the grading workflow option
- In the top right of the screen, click Turn editing on.
- To the right of the assignment, click on ‘Edit’ and then click on the cog icon to edit the settings.
- Next, expand the section containing the Grade settings, clicking ‘show more’ and you can now see the option for using the marking workflow which you can select via the drop-down menu.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click ‘Save and return to course’.
Using the grading workflow
- Click on the assignment.
- Click on the ‘View/Grade all submissions’ button.
- You can now assign a workflow status to each of the assignments. (Please ensure that the ‘Quick grading’ option checkbox at the bottom of the page has been checked).
- In this case I am selecting ‘in marking’ to let my fellow graders know that this one is in the process of being graded. Once you have selected the marking status which applies, click ‘save all quick grading changes’. Once grading has been completed, one may select the status ‘marking completed’ if fellow graders need to review the grade.
- You can now filter by the workflow status, in the options settings;
- Once you have progressed through the workflow stages for the submissions, your final status will need to be set to ‘Released’ and the status saved, upon which the students will receive an email notifying them that their grade is available.
The final workflow stage ‘released’ can only be carried out by those with Teacher, Course Admininistrator or Administrator roles. Non-editing teachers will need to request the final change of workflow stage through their colleagues which have the appropriate access, ensuring that the release of grades is coordinated centrally.
Did this answer your query? If not, you can raise a ticket on the online Helpdesk or email: email@example.com . Alternatively you can also request a particular guide or highlight an error in this guide using our guides request tracker.