LinkedIn Learning is an award-winning industry leader in online training, with a digital library of over 16,000 courses covering a wide range of technical, business, software and creative topics. The library is available to use for free by all members of the Queen Mary community who have a QMUL IT account.
Frequently asked questions
What is LinkedIn Learning?
LinkedIn Learning is an online learning platform that enables individuals and organisations to achieve their objectives and aspirations. The goal is to help people discover and develop the skills they need through a personalised learning experience.Not surprisingly, LinkedIn Learning is part of LinkedIn, an online professional networking system. You may already be a LinkedIn user and have a profile on the system. If you’re not, you can still make use of the QMUL LinkedIn Learning subscription without making use of LinkedIn. If you are a LinkedIn user, you can also choose whether you link your personal LinkedIn account and your QMUL LinkedIn Learning account. It’s up to you.
Here is a brief introductory video to LinkedIn Learning.
Who can use LinkedIn Learning?
How much does access to LinkedIn Learning cost me?
Access to the platform is free for all Queen Mary students and staff members.There is no need to pay over £250 per year for a personal subscription, so a helpful saving.
How do I log in to LinkedIn Learning?
Go to https://linkedinlearning.qmul.ac.uk/Enter your Queen Mary username, e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org (students) or email@example.com (staff), and password when prompted.
I receive an error logging in. What can I do?
When you first log in to LinkedIn Learning, you will first go to the Queen Mary identity check page, which will ask for your QMUL username and password – i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org (students) or email@example.com (staff).If you experience issues logging in, please check the following:
- You are using a supported browser – see the section on supported internet browsers
- If you have an existing personal LinkedIn or LinkedIn Learning account, your login details may be cached (remembered) by your browser. Please close all browser windows and restart the browser or try a completely different browser.
What internet browser can I use to access LinkedIn Learning?
For an optimal site experience, better encryption, and privacy support, you should use the latest versions (current and previous major releases) of the browsers listed below.Important: Using older browser versions can prevent you from accessing LinkedIn, and some site features may not function as expected. Please note that browsers supported on desktop may be different from those supported on mobile. You can also use the LinkedIn Learning app which is available for iOS and Android.
The following current and previous major releases of the following desktop browsers are supported:
- Microsoft Edge
Note: LinkedIn Learning does not support Internet Explorer.
Is there a LinkedIn Learning app for mobile devices?
Yes. Apps are available for iOS and Android. Download them from the App Store or Google Play Store.Look for the LinkedIn Learning app…not the LinkedIn app.
How can I use LinkedIn Learning?
Can I use LinkedIn Learning when working/studying from home?
Yes, you can use LinkedIn Learning from any internet-connected computer with an up-to-date browser.Using the LinkedIn Learning app, available for iOS and Android, you can also use LinkedIn Learning on many mobile devices. You can even download LinkedIn Learning courses for offline viewing on your mobile device.
Do I need a LinkedIn account to use LinkedIn Learning?
Can I link my personal LinkedIn account to LinkedIn Learning?
Yes, you can link your personal LinkedIn profile to your QMUL LinkedIn Learning account. Linking your accounts brings some benefits, see the next item, but it is up to you whether you wish to do this and you can still make full use of LinkedIn Learning without connecting your accounts.If you do choose to connect your accounts, you can also disconnect them at any time.
What is the difference between linking my personal LinkedIn account and not?
If you connect your personal LinkedIn profile to your LinkedIn Learning account, you will get a more personalised and interactive learning experience. Some of the benefits of linking your accounts include:
- Share your learning achievements: Add Certificates of Completion and skills to your LinkedIn profile and share LinkedIn Learning videos with your network.
- Watch courses with your connections and colleagues: See who else is learning with you and build connections.
- Receive customised content recommendations: Get recommendations based on what your connections and similar professionals are viewing, as well as recommendations based on your LinkedIn profile.
- Join learning groups: Deepen your learning by engaging other like-minded learners who have similar career aspirations.
- Ask questions and get answers: Use Q&A to continue the conversation beyond the course with peers and instructors.
Without linking accounts you will still have some personalisation, in particular you will see recommended content based on:
- Your job title.
- Your skills. You can define the skills you are interested in
- Your organisation. People at QMUL may recommend content for particular audiences
What information does Queen Mary have access to if I connect my personal LinkedIn account to LinkedIn Learning?
LinkedIn does not give Queen Mary access to private activity from your personal LinkedIn account.Please see the LinkedIn Learning article on privacy for LinkedIn Learners for further information.
Am I limited to what courses I can access and complete?
No. Queen Mary staff and students have access to the entire catalogues of courses. You can choose to complete any course within the whole catalogue, that is over 16000.You may receive recommended courses from Queen Mary to support your well being or personal development, which may also relate to your specific area of study or work.
Can I share Certificates of Completion to my LinkedIn account?
Yes. If you link your personal LinkedIn profile to your LinkedIn Learning account, you can share any completed courses from your learning account to your LinkedIn profile.You can find more information about Certificates of Completion in the help pages of the LinkedIn Learning website.
I’m having problems accessing LinkedIn Learning. Who can I contact for help?
If you are having problems, you can contact the IT Service Desk.
As you work with LinkedIn Learning, we are very interested in your experiences and feedback. If you have questions that are not answered here, you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also access the main LinkedIn Learning Help pages and contact their technical support team.
- LinkedIn Learning is part of LinkedIn.
- You do NOT require a LinkedIn account to access the University’s instance of LinkedIn Learning.
- We recommend that you do NOT add any extra personal details to your LinkedIn Learning profile.
- The University shares your SSO (Single Sign-On) identifier with LinkedIn Learning for the purpose of you being able to return to the platform and retain your learning history.