We hope you enjoy this month’s articles.
Join us at our annual summer event on 24th June – 14:00 – 17:00 – FB 115, Bancroft Building. We will be covering –
- QMplus upgrade and new features
- QMplus Hub – new groups & portfolios features
- Video in teaching using QMplus Media & Video recording suites
- QMplus Rollover, Archive and Upgrade
- 20-22 July 2015 – QMplus restricted access, with intermittent outages
- 22 July 2015 – New QMplus environment released
- Week of 27 July 2015 – QMplus 2014/15 archive released – open access to staff for 4 months.
- Week of 27 July 2015 – Rollover available to administrators (after archive release)
On the 16th of June we are going to carry out our first major upgrade to QMplus – Groups and Portfolios that will include a design overhaul, some new technical developments and major additions to the range of content that can be placed on portfolio pages themselves. Groups and Portfolios will become QMplus Hub.
The News and Announcement forum is widely used by the members of staff at the School of Law. All modules have a block to display all their new posts and many modules display the news items at the top of the page within topic 0.
The Scheduler activity allows you to schedule appointments with your students. As a teacher you can specify time slots for meetings, which students can choose on QMplus. Group scheduling is also supported in the Scheduler tool. You can also export the booking data for analysis outside of QMplus.
Our “Book a Learning Technologist” service allows you to book time with a member of the E-Learning Unit to discuss any e-learning ideas that you might have. It might be that you have an idea you’d like to develop further, or you’d like to overhaul how you’re using an existing technology or you’d like to make practical suggestions for enhancements.
Distance Teaching at QM – Opportunities & Challenges
With the college having a strategic objective to increase the numbers of distance learners we ran an event on the 25th of March to showcase some of the experiences of those at QMUL that are already engaged in Distance Learning. We were lucky enough to get presenters from HSS, SMD and Professional Services with a variety of experience. Click below to find out more about each presentation –
- Maralyn Druce – an award winning Endocrinology tutor in the School of Medicine and Dentistry
- Norah Gallaghar – an experienced online tutor in the School of Law
- Robbie Shilliam – a newcomer to distance learning in the School of Politics and International Relations
- Caroline Walker and Agnes Lech – exploring new ways of delivering academic development in the Centre for Academic and Professional Development
Upcoming staff development sessions
We have a number of staff development sessions running in June including:
- Questions about rollover? Drop-in – 03 June 2015 14:00
- Questions about rollover? Drop in – 04 June 2015 13:00
- E-portfolios, group work and networking with QMplus Hub – 09 June 2015 10:00
- Getting started with video in teaching with QMplus Media – 17 June 2015 10:00
Visit our course booking system to book yourself a place.
Image credit Yesterday’s news by Mick Baker on Flickr