Box of Broadcasts (BoB) is a fantastic resource which provides both staff and students with access to a large repository of material from a variety of broadcast media channels. It is possible to share content from Box of Broadcasts via QMplus in a number of ways.
- Embedding BoB clips and videos into QMplus pages and activities, such as quizzes. The content can be viewed without leaving QMplus.
- Using the standard QMplus URL resource to link to BoB content, including playlists. A module leader could create a playlist of useful BoB content for a module and share it in the QMplus area
- Sharing links to BoB content through links in activities such as the glossary and forums. Students have the same access to BoB as staff so they can create BoB clips and playlists and share them through their QMplus module area
This guide covers:
Embedding BoB content
If you have editing rights on a QMplus area, it is possible to embed BoB content in QMplus anywhere that you find the text editor. This example shows how to embed the content into a quiz question so that people taking the quiz have to watch the video and then answer a question about it. The same steps can be followed to embed BoB content anywhere the text editor is available.
Before starting, you will need to grab the embed code for your BoB content. If you don’t know how to do this, you will find instructions in the Sharing Box of Broadcast content with others guide.
You should now see your content in the text editor. You can continue to add more content around the embedded video if you wish. The advantage of embedding content like this is that you can add context to it.
When you are finished, scroll down and save your changes.
Using the URL resource
You will find the URL resource at the bottom of the list in the activity chooser which is accessed by clicking on Add an activity or resource. You can also find it by using the search bar at the top of the chooser.
- Add a meaningful title for your link.
- Add a description. This is optional however as people won’t be seeing a preview of the content it is useful to describe what they are going to see when they click the link. An enticing decription is an added incentive to click on the link!
- Paste the link to the BoB content here. You will have to copy this link from BoB. See the guide on Sharing BoB content with others for details of where to find this link.
This is what your link will look like in your QMplus area. In this case I have chosen to display the description so that it is obvious what the person will see if they click this link.
Making a hyperlink
It is possible to create hyperlinks to BoB content using the text editor. You can do this in any place in QMplus where the text editor is available. Unlike the embed and URL resource methods, you do not need editing rights in QMplus to be able to do this.
In this example, you will see how to add a link to a BoB clip in a glossary activity entry. The glossary is a great way to allow students to build a shared collection of resources in a QMplus area. The same principles apply to creating a hyperlink to BoB content anywhere in QMplus where the text editor is available.
First, type the text for the glossary entry. Then select the text that is to become the link to the BoB clip. To create the link, click on the Link icon in the text editor highlighted above.
Now paste the link for the BoB content into the Create link textbox. If you don’t know how to find this link in BoB you will find instructions in the Sharing BoB content with others guide. Click Create link and you’ll if you hover over the text you selected it will display as underlined.
Lastly, scroll down and select to Save your changes.
This is what the link looks like in the glossary entry. Anyone viewing the glossary entry can click on the link to view the clip.
- If you are a teacher and want your students to post links to BoB content in a QMplus area, you will have to direct them to use the hyperlink method. This is because only those with edit access to QMplus areas are able to use the embed code and URL resource methods. BoB content can be embedded on QMplus Hub pages by anyone so that is a possible alternative if the embedding functionality is important.
- Using embedded content can slow down QMplus pages. We do not recommend that you place a large number of embedded videos on a QMplus home page.
- People will still have to login to BoB to access the videos even although they are already logged in to QMplus and the two services use the same credentials. This is due to the way the BoB service works and is, unfortunately, unavoidable. However, once you have logged in to BoB in a browser, your login will be remembered for the remainder of that browser session. If you view multiple BoB videos, you should not have to log in more than once.
Did this answer your query? If not, you can raise a ticket on the online Helpdesk or email: email@example.com . Alternatively you can also request a particular guide or highlight an error in this guide using our guides request tracker.