The new Module Info block, situated on the top right hand side of most QMplus school module templates, contains core information for students about the Module, who is teaching it and how they can be contacted, where the module is taught and other useful information, like documentation., etc.
There are 5 main sections displayed on the module page (3 are mandatory – Core Info, Teaching and Schedule) and each of them can be configured via the settings for the block to work the way you need it to in your teaching.
This guide covers:
- Modify Core Module Information that has come from SITS (Step 1)
- Edit information about the Module Convenor/Organiser (Step 2)
- Add additional staff (GTA’s Admin team etc) to the block (Step 3)
- Enable/disable central timetabling information and/or upload your own schedule (Step 4)
- Upload important course documents (Step 5)
- Present other important module information in a freely editable area (Step 6)
Most module areas in QMplus will already have a module info block. This is part of the template. If your module does not have one then you will need to add a new one from the blocks menu:
- On the course page switch the edit button from the top right of the page or select ‘Turn editing on’ from the Settings block.
2. From the ‘Add a Block’ Menu (bottom right of your screen) select ‘Module Info’.
Step 1 contains Core Info and is made up of 4 fields each of which is pulled directly from the SITS database. The data corresponds with the module id for the course. The Core Info looks like this:
If the information displayed is NOT correct we would recommend you contact your SITS administrator with the correct information.
If you would like to amend the information or add, for example, an additional module code then you can override the displayed information in the settings.
Modifying the Core Information in Step 1
- Click on the TURN EDITING ON button
- On the Module Info block select the CONFIGURATION icon
- You will now be able to view the settings for the block.
4. All the settings are enabled by default. In most cases you do not need to modify any field in this section as the information is coming from the student record system. To modify any of the fields type your text or numbers into the corresponding textfield. A description of each field follows.
5. To modify a setting make sure the enable checkbox is ticked then write the information into the textbox. For example:
3. Click ‘Save changes’. The module info block should appear as shown below:
- Custom Module Code: Enable this setting to override the module code. The code is taken automatically from information stored in SITS. However, this can be replaced by text entered into the text box on the right.
- Custom Module level: Enable this setting to override the module level. The code is taken automatically from information stored in SITS. However, this can be replaced by text entered into the text box on the right.
- Custom Module Credits: Enable this setting to override the module credits. The code is taken automatically from information stored in SITS. However, this can be replaced by text entered into the text box on the right.
- Custom Module Semester: Enable this setting to override the semester. The code is taken automatically from information stored in SITS. However, this can be replaced by text entered into the text box on the right.
Step 2 contains information about the people who teach the module. This may consist of a team of staff or just one Module Convenor.
This section can be configured to display as much information as you wish. The Module Convenor field is populated from SITS but all the other information is taken from the QMplus user profile.
To ensure the data that is applied is correct you will need to ensure that your profile is up to date.
In the following screenshots you can see a number of fields have been selected for display. In most cases the office hours and location will be all that is necessary.
- Select the correct name for the Module convenor from the drop-down menu. Select Custom if the title you wish to use is not in the list then type the Custom heading in the field below.
- In most cases you should not have to enter text into this field BUT if the Module convenor is displaying incorrectly and you CAN’T access SITS to update it immediately then type in the email address here. This method only works if the user has a college username and password.
- Select the fields you would like to display by holding down the ctrl key whilst clicking the left mouse key on each option(Windows). Some faculties, e.g. HSS, require the picture , office hours and location so ensure you check first before omitting key information.
The results of my selection are displayed.
Step 3 enables you to add Additional Teaching Staff or Administrators to the Block. You can choose what name you would like to give to the additional staff and then select how much information you show about each teacher.
- Type in a heading within the ‘Additional teachers heading’ field. For example, Teaching Staff.
- From the ‘User’ drop down list select the teacher you want to add. The drop down list displays all the teachers and course administrators enrolled within the course.
- Select the fields you would like to display
4. To add another teacher, click on ‘Add 1 Additional User’.
5. The additional user details will appear below the module convenor details.
Step 4 – Contains information about the Teaching Schedule. In this section you can choose to display timetabling links for the Module or a custom timetable link. You can also add information about other teaching sessions that may not appear in the formal SMART timetabling system.
- Select whether you would like to display the Module timetable and the Personal timetable link in the Module Info block
- Add a custom URL if you have a special timetable page or calendar.
If you wish to add some additional teaching sessions:
- Enter the name for the subsection e.g. Seminars, Labs etc
- Insert the day, time and location in the appropriate fields
This is what it looks like after the changes:
Step 5 – Contains an area where you can upload important course documents. These might include such things as handbooks, welcome packs, assignment cover sheets etc.
Adding Documents to the block:
- To add a document drag and drop it in the section under ‘Files’. You can also add this manually by selecting ‘Add’ from the top left corner.
- If you are the author of the document keep your name in the author field, otherwise delete and /or replace the name. You can also select a license for your resource. (more information about creative commons licensing can be found on their website: creativecommons.org/licenses)
- To delete the file, select ‘Delete’ at the top.
- To rename the document, rename and overwrite the old name in the ‘Name’ section.
- Select ‘Update’.
Tip: Give your uploaded files meaningful names e.g. ‘cover sheet.doc’ rather than 127Kjhl.doc
Step 6 – Contains a Section where you can add any content you like. Initially, this section contains the content that was created for the OLD Module Information block.
The best idea would be to add this content to the form driven fields mentioned previously then delete this section. If you would like to use it for adding additional content follow the instructions below:
Adding new content to the ‘Additional Content area’
- Select the Additonal Content checkbox.
- Add your content
- If you need section headings then add an H2 heading with the class. (Edit the HTML Source to add the class)
<h2 class=”session-heading”>Special links</h2>
Making these changes results in a block that looks like this:
Finally, you can save the changes. If the Module Info Block is new on the page you may need to adjust where it appears. The correct place in most courses is on the right-hand side at (-10) or near (-9) the top.
Did this answer your query? If not, you can raise a ticket on the online Helpdesk or email: firstname.lastname@example.org . Alternatively you can also request a particular guide or highlight an error in this guide using our guides request tracker.