Every student and member of staff has their own personal QMplus Hub area and this can be used to store files, create a personal journal or blog, a CV and document tasks or CPD (Continuing Professional Development). Placing this content onto pages in QMplus Hub enables you to share any of this information with others. You can also share text, images, videos and audio. By default, your pages are only visible to you however if you choose to you can share your page with other QMplus Hub users or make the pages publicly visible. QMplus Hub pages can also be submitted as assignments in a QMplus course area.
This guide will take you through creating a QMplus Hub page and adding content to it. If you want to know how to share your page after you have created it, see our guide on Sharing with others in QMplus Hub.
Creating a page and choosing a layout
Once you have added some content to QMplus then you probably want to display it nicely on a portfolio page. Follow this guide to create your first page.
Remember that all pages (apart from your profile page) created in your e-portfolio are personal to you until you choose to share them. Pages created in a group are visible to all members of the group.
First go to your QMplus Hub dashboard. If you do not know how to access QMplus Hub, please see our guide on how to access QMplus Hub
- Select Pages and Collections from the Portfolio dropdown menu
- If you have already created pages they will be displayed here. To create a new page, click Add button and select Page
- You can now give your page a title and a description and or overview of its purpose. You can skip the description at this stage and add one later.
- You can choose to add tags* to your page, how you want your name displayed and whether you want the page to be anonymous. Tip: Tags are like keywords that you create and they can make searching for and displaying your content easier in QMplus Hub.
- Now you can choose the layout options for your page. Click Layout to reveal the possible layout options. Tip: Although you can change your layout as you are building the page, it is much easier to choose your structure at the beginning!
- You now have a set of basic, advanced or custom options for the layout of your page. The default is a simple 3 column layout. We will choose a banner spanning the page with 3 columns underneath for this guide.
- Once you have chosen a layout for your page click Save
- More information about advanced options for page layouts can be found in the Mahara user guide: https://manual.mahara.org/en/18.04/portfolio/page_editor.html?highlight=layout
Adding content to your page
Once you have saved the information you enter in the ‘title and description ‘ tab and chosen your layout, you will automatically be directed to the Edit content section. This is the area where you do your page building.
- The New page title you entered in the Title and description area is now displayed at the top of your page.
- On the left hand side of the page editing area you will see a vertical content chooser. This is the toolbar for all the content you want to place on the page. Next to each icon (e.g. Media) there is a small arrow. Selecting this will open the flyout menu to reveal different content types.
If you are working on a smaller screen e.g. a laptop and need more space on the page then you can reduce the size of the content chooser by selecting the horizontal arrow at the top (see screengrab). The menu buttons are now reduced to small icons.
You can select the Text or the Image block directly as these are two of the more frequently used content items.
You can access all other content items via the individual panels:
- Media: holds blocks for files that can be displayed as links, in folders or in the case of images and videos directly in the page
- Journals: various content blocks which allow you to place your journals / journal entries into a page
- General: content items such as comments, (action) plans, notes, cpd and navigation (to your other QMplus Hub pages)
- Personal info: choose profile information or your CV to display in a block
- External: contains blocks to place RSS feeds, external media such as videos or GoogleApps such as Google Maps
- Theme: Choose a different page design from the 6 QMUL themes in the dropdown menu. (The default theme is QMUL Hub)
3. There are two methods to place your content into the layout area of the page: A) Left mouseclick and hold on the crosshair icon relating to the resource or file type you would like to add and drag and drop the icon onto the correct position on the page you are creating. (In the screengrab below I want to place an image in to the first column of the second row)
4. Once you have dropped your content type onto the layout area then the settings menu for that content will flyout from the right-hand side of the page. The settings for each content type are different. In this example we will add an image to the page.
5. Open the image dropdown menu
6. You can choose to upload a new image by ticking the statement and clicking Browse button to select your image file
7. Otherwise, you can upload an existing image from the files area below by clicking on the tick icon
8. You can choose to display the image description by selecting Yes to the Show description option.
9. You can choose to make the content in this block collapsible by selecting Yes or Automatically retract to the Retractable option. Here I have selected No to make sure the content is collapsed and visible.
10. Finally click Save
This is what my page now looks like:
11. The final step to exit ‘Edit mode’ is to click Display page button
12. To start editing once more, select Edit button
Other points about pages:
- Once you have added a block to a page, you can Edit it by clicking on the cog icon or Delete it by clicking on the bin icon
Did this answer your query? If not, you can raise a ticket on the online Helpdesk or email: email@example.com . Alternatively you can also request a particular guide or highlight an error in this guide using our guides request tracker.