Mile End Recording Booth
Video is widely used in teaching but it is not always easy to do. Thankfully we have a recording booth at Mile End in the Scape building (accessible via Scape 0.01) that has been developed to make recording high quality video easy with the minimum of fuss.
The recording booth is self-service, we will get it ready for you and be on hand should you need help. It is easy to use and will show you how to use it the first time you do a recording. We do not edit but have editing software available in our e-learning studio and run regular workshops on how to edit.
If you would like to book the recording booth at Mile End – click here. If you have not used the recording booth before you will need a short induction, when you book please send the person assigned to your sessions an email to let them know this is the first time you are using the booth.
The process is very easy, you plug in your memory stick or external hard drive (they have to be fast, more on this further down), you choose the layout you like (click here to see preset layouts available), load your presentation if you have one and press record. When you have finished press stop recording. Unless you want to change anything you can upload the video directly to your preferred location such as QMplus. If you do want to change it then they are in a format that works on most video editing programs.
They all have the option to use a green screen backdrop so that you can superimpose anything you like into the background this can be a plain colour (many opt for a plain black or white background), images, video, PowerPoint or Keynote presentations. As we use a green screen to help superimpose the background in one word of advice is do not wear anything green for the recording.
Here is a quick demo so you can see what is possible:
What You Will Need
A memory stick or external hard drive to take away your recording, the faster the better, a USB 3 hard drive or memory stick would be the preferred option. Here are some memory sticks we recommend:
- Sandisk USB 3.0 64 GB – link to Amazon – this is the one we have been using here
- Sandisk USB 3.0 32 GB – link to Amazon
Preparing for Your Recording
- Do give yourself plenty of time to do the recording just in case you need to record anything again.
- Do make sure you have some water with you.
- If you wear glasses and you want to use the teleprompter make sure you bring your glasses with you.
- Do not wear anything green
- Don’t have your phone on.
- If you are sitting don’t wear any watches or jewellery that might bash the desk that will be picked up by the microphone.
What’s in the Box?
The equipment includes:
- High quality, high definition camera.
- Lights – studios have lights on stands, the mobile version uses an on camera light.
- Green screen
- Tricaster (this is the box of tricks that connects all the devices together and does the recording. It does the superimposing when using the green screen. It helps automate the process)
How to Book the Recording Booth
To book the recording booth use our scheduler to select an available slot. If you have not used the scheduler before you will need to click on enrol me to start. Click here to view/book slots.