Here is the E-Learning Unit Newsletter for August 2015. We hope you find this month’s articles useful.
Staff development opportunities in September
In order to help staff prepare for the new academic year we are running a number of sessions in September. These include:
- Getting started with QMplus – 01, 09, 17 and 21 September 2015
- Getting started with Quizzes on QMplus – 03 and 18 September 2015
- E-Learning for Professional Services – 03 September 2015
- Getting started with video in teaching with QMplus Media – 07 September 2015
- Creating and Marking Assignments in QMplus – 15 September 2015
- E-portfolios, group work and networking with QMplus Hub – 22 September 2015
- QMplus Quizzes – Advanced Techniques – 23 September 2015
Please see our online course booking system for details of dates and times and to book yourself a place. We will also be running drop-in sessions during September for those who have specific issues they’d like help with. These will be on Tuesday and Thursday lunchtimes in the E-Learning Studio on the Mile End campus. Keep an eye out on our website for the exact times.
Book a Learning Technologist sessions available
Our ‘Book a Learning Technologist’ service allows you to book time with a member of the E-Learning Unit to discuss any e-learning ideas that you might have. It might be that you have an idea you’d like to develop further, or you’d like to overhaul how you’re using an existing technology or you’d like someone to review your use of technology with you with a view to making practical suggestions for enhancements. Sessions are now available and you can book them via QMplus.
What new features would you like to see in QMplus?
We will shortly be determining which QMplus enhancements to focus on for the 2015/16 academic year and now is your opportunity to have your say. We have limited resource this year and will have to carefully identify the items that we can realistically develop over the next year. You can help us to prioritise by voting on your preferred enhancement.
- View all QMplus development requests here.
- Browse by category; there is a category called ‘Not currently being developed/New entries’ – these are the items that we will be reviewing and prioritising for 2015/16.
- To add a new request, please ensure that you are logged into QMplus and enrolled on the QMplus tracker area. Then click on the ‘Add a new entry’ button/link and follow the instructions below
- Enter a meaningful title in the ‘Concept’ field
- Give more information about the request in the ‘Definition’ field
- Select the category ‘Not currently being developed’ (optional)
- If you’ve already thought about how you would like this development to look and work, you can add this as a Word attachment.
Case Study: Quizzes as an assessment and revision tool
Quizzes have proved to be a useful assessment and revision tool for students, the School of Law created quizzes to help students test themselves on key areas of the course. The aim was
- for a quiz to accompany the readings for each of the 9 topics within the module to prompt students to think about the readings before attending the seminars and allow tutors to assess prior understanding and provide feedback
- for students to self-test themselves throughout the year, with a view to recalling important topics even after the relevant tutorial has passed
Pop Up Recording Room
Our new recording booths are in development, in the meantime we have a pop up recording room that is currently at Whitechapel. If you would like to know more or book it for a recording then please contact Gary Schwartz (email@example.com). Read more about the recording booth.
QMplus Updates Post Upgrade – 27th August
The QMplus August upgrade fixed some known issues, go to our website to read more on these updates.