This guide covers:
Designing and Building your QMplus module page
Adding Content to your QMplus module page
The QMplus Home page
Design and Build your QMplus Site
A major advantage of QMplus / Moodle is that it can be customized and personalized. It is recommended that you contact your local School e-learning / digital specialist to confirm if there are guidelines to follow.
We have created a useful guide which is a great starting point for beginners or those who would like a refresher.
A course format refers to the layout of a course and it can make a huge impact on the course appearance.
- Changing the look of your course with formats (Moodle Doc)
- How to add the grid format
- Reducing the length of your course page with ‘one section per page’
Topics allow the course to be divided into sections to organize resources and activities for students.
- Adding or deleting sections/topics (under review)
- Setting your module image and announcements area (Moodle Doc)
- Moving content around with the sharing cart
- Stealth activities – available but not shown
Tabs can be a useful way of dividing content in a course site. Please see below links to useful guides:
- Organising QMplus course content into tabs
- Course creation and Settings: Using the Tab Display (Moodle Doc)
There are a number of standard blocks available these include calendar, upcoming events and navigation blocks.
- Course Creation and Settings: Adding a Sticky Block (Admin) (under review)
- Course creation and Settings: Displaying important information with the module info block (under review)
- Customising your course page with blocks
- Using the Assessment Information block in QMplus to organise assessments
There is an inbuilt activity within Moodle called the “Files.” It is the place to upload files you wish to make available to students such as PDF, Word documents, presentations.
- Uploading a file (Moodle Doc)
- Uploading multiple files as a zipped folder (Moodle Doc)
- Tidying up and naming the files on your course page
Staff can use the inbuilt QMplus URL activity to provide students with useful weblinks.
- Adding Web Links (Moodle Doc)
- URL settings (Moodle Doc)
- Pulling in external content with an RSS Feed
Three practical activities we recommend you explore within QMplus sites are:
1) Calendars these can be added as a block, they enable you to display important events as well as assignment / quiz deadlines.
2) Scheduler this allows staff to schedule one to one appointments with students.
- Adding a Scheduler activity (Moodle Doc)
3) Checklist is an activity which allow students or staff to check off items on the course as they are completed.
There are a number of interesting methods of displaying content you have created:
1) Page This creates a link to a screen where content can be added.
- Creating a page (Moodle Doc)
2) Books staff can create a multi-page resource with a book like format and table of contents.
- Using a book to structure your content (Moodle Doc)
- Converting PDFs to a ‘Page’ resource in QMplus (Moodle Doc)
3) Label serves as a spacer on a course page it can include text or images.
Images and pictures can help convey meaning and have a positive impact on the user experience of a course.
- Creating a Lightbox Gallery (Moodle Doc)
- Making the QMplus Media course media gallery visible to students (under review)
H5P enables staff to create interesting and interactive content including videos, quizzes and presentations.
- Creating interactive activities with H5P (Moodle Doc)
The landing / home page is the site that QMplus makes available to you after you log in and is where you are taken if you click on the QMplus logo.
- Landing pages in QMplus (now QMplus ‘My Home’)
There are a number of useful activities available including:
1) Workshop a powerful peer assessment activity.
- Adding a Workshop Activity (Moodle Doc)
2) Database allows staff and/or students to build, display and search a bank of records about any topic.
- Database tool in QMplus (Moodle Doc)
3) Glossary allows participants to create a maintain a list of definitions like a dictionary.
- Creating a Glossary (Moodle Doc)